- Land Rover is a Worldwide Partner for Rugby World Cup 2015 and is supplying all 96 mascots for every fixture across the country during this year’s tournament.
- The majority of Rugby World Cup mascots will be selected from the Land Rover Premiership Rugby Cup, a long standing UK grassroots rugby programme run in conjunction with Premiership Rugby
- Land Rover is putting grassroots rugby on the global stage through its ‘We Deal In Real’ campaign
- Land Rover will be offering two mascot places to the public at the Premiership Rugby Final at Twickenham on May 30th
Whitley, UK, 31st March 2015. Land Rover is searching for youngsters to become official mascots for Rugby World Cup 2015 which kicks off later this year. With the help of rugby legend and former England captain Lewis Moody, Land Rover is turning to grassroots rugby to find the majority of these mascots.
The 96 Rugby World Cup 2015 mascots will encompass one from each participating nation. However, the majority of mascots are being recruited in the UK through the Land Rover Premiership Rugby Cup, a longstanding national series of grassroots rugby festivals for U11 and U12 teams, run in conjunction with Premiership Rugby.
To be in with a chance of winning a Rugby World Cup 2015 mascot place at grassroots festivals, entrants (aged between 7 and 13yrs old) have to participate in a short audition, undertaking one of three challenges to show why they would make a great mascot. These challenges include giving a passionate rendition of a Rugby World Cup team’s national anthem, offering some words of inspiration and advice to one of the nation’s captains or telling Land Rover how they would welcome a visiting Rugby World Cup nation to England for the Tournament.
Land Rover recently launched its ‘We Deal In Real’ campaign, which aims to put grassroots rugby on the global stage. Using this platform, Land Rover is recruiting the next generation of rugby stars from the heart of the game to represent their clubs at Rugby World Cup 2015.
There is still a chance for young rugby players and fans to get involved as Land Rover is going to be auditioning youngsters pre-match at the Premiership Rugby Final, Twickenham on May 30th.
Auditions will be open to members of the public and held outside the stadium in the South Car Park, with no tickets to the Premiership Rugby Final required to take part.
All mascot auditions will be reviewed by a panel of judges, including Rugby World Cup 2003 winners Lewis Moody and Jason Robinson.
Having played in three Rugby World Cup tournaments, former England Captain Lewis Moody commented:
“It’s a once in a lifetime opportunity for youngsters to be at the very heart of the biggest occasion in the rugby calendar. Having played on that stage, there is no greater honour than walking out for your country during a Rugby World Cup, so for the lucky mascots who are selected it will be a truly memorable experience.
"Land Rover has a long history in grassroots rugby as well as at the top level of the sport, so it’s a natural fit that they will be getting to the roots of rugby to find these lucky Rugby World Cup mascots.”
An overview from Lewis Moody can be found here:
For further information log onto www.uk.media.landrover.com or contact:
Fast Track (Land Rovers Sponsorship Agency)
T: 0207 593 7229
M: 07552 289 239
Press Officer, Land Rover UK
T: 02476 564 258
M: 07880 177 300
- Since 1948 Land Rover has been manufacturing authentic 4x4s that represent true 'breadth of capability' across the model range. Defender, Discovery, Discovery Sport, Range Rover Sport, Range Rover and Range Rover Evoque each define the world's 4x4 sectors, with 80% of this model range exported to over 170 countries.
Land Rover and Rugby
- Land Rover has been at the heart of rugby for over two decades, from grassroots to the pinnacle of the sport. Rugby partnerships around the world include top-flight sponsorship properties in France, Australia, South Africa and England, and Rugby World Cup 2015.
- For more information please visit landrover.co.uk/mascots
Don’t forget to keep up to date with all of Land Rover rugby activity on Twitter by following @LandRoverRugby