- New Land Rover Discovery shines at Lookers Jaguar Land Rover West London official opening ceremony
- Explorers Sir Ranulph Fiennes and Monty Halls take to the stage to share their Discovery adventures with special guests and Lookers VIPs
- Broadcaster, journalist and marine biologist Monty customises his own new Discovery fit for his next epic adventure
Wednesday 12 October, 2016: Lookers Jaguar Land Rover West London celebrated the launch of its luxurious new £12m showroom with a special event featuring the first showing of Land Rover’s New Discovery in the capital. Loyal customers and VIPs were in attendance, including the awe-inspiring explorer Sir Ranulph Fiennes and ‘Great Escapes’ star and marine explorer Monty Halls.
Constantly juggling TV, biology and charity projects, Monty came to Lookers West London last night especially to spec his new Discovery having attended the exclusive unveiling event at Packington Hall last month. Monty said: “Land Rovers have been a part of my life for some 30 years, from my time in the Marines to the expeditions and TV projects they have supported me on. I can’t imagine living without a Land Rover. And with more equipment (and children!) to carry around with me on projects now, it is time to update my expedition partner. New Discovery is exactly that to me – a partner. Key for me is getting my boat and trailer into and out of the water, so the towing capacity and wading credentials combined make this the perfect vehicle for me and my family. It was love at first sight, and I’ve been really excited to spec my car since the moment I saw it a few weeks ago.”
Monty took the opportunity of consulting fellow explorer Sir Ranulph Fiennes on some of the options he had in mind for his new vehicle. And there is a lot to choose from, the Land Rover Accessories team has developed a comprehensive range of additions so that customers can tailor their vehicles to their individual needs and tastes.
Furthermore the fifth-generation model benefits from Land Rover’s strong, safe and lightweight full-size SUV aluminium architecture, delivering comfort and adaptability – a prime example of which is the world-first remote Intelligent Seat Fold technology which allows drivers to configure the seven seats from either a smartphone app, through the touch-screen or a control panel in the rear of the vehicle. Configurable seating for any adventure.
Often conducting business from the road, Monty loves the benefits of the connected technology and the 3G wifi hotspot. Ingenious technology throughout means that not only can Monty look after business on the go but the family is also occupied and safe whilst he does so. The vehicle’s six 12v charging points, nine USB ports, and hot-spot connectivity for up to eight devices means that passengers can even stream music and movies whilst Monty fords a stream, the New Discovery being capable of wading up to 900mm.
Wading capability is a key feature for Monty who is often towing his boat, making use of the incredible 3,500kg maximum offered by the New Discovery. And with a tailgate capable of carrying 300kg in weight as a viewing platform or simply as outdoor seating, even the most intrepid and digitally savvy of explorers – and their six closest friends or family – will be satisfied.
Jeremy Hicks, UK Managing Director of Jaguar Land Rover, said: “New Discovery is our best go-anywhere, do anything Land Rover ever, it has adventure in its DNA but is built for the digital age;it tows more, it wades deeper and offers a fully flexible seating package for Monty’s film crew orhis family – changing seats from his phone to fit either his work commitments or down-time withthe family. It’s no surprise to see real-world pioneers like Monty at the front of the queue for ourbest Discovery yet.”
Trademark design features include the stepped roofline, which has identified each of the four previous generations of Discovery and provides an elegant solution to a practical need. The stepped profile optimises headroom for passengers travelling in the third row of seats. It also accommodates Discovery’s customary stadium seating configuration, which sees each row of seats positioned higher than the one in front, ensuring every seat is the best seat in the house – and configurable remotely by InControl Remote application.
With the launch of the new Discovery, Land Rover Accessories team has developed an extensive array of extras from which Monty has been able to customise his new Discovery. His selection:
- Electronically Deployable Tow Bar - £2,295.00 (fully fitted)
- Multi-Height Tow Bar - £937.00 (fully fitted)
- Front Mudflaps - £125.00 (fully fitted)
- Rear Mudflaps - £125.00 (fully fitted)
- Protective 2nd Row Seat Covers - £272.00 (fully fitted)
- Rubber Footwell Mats - £131.00 (fully fitted)
- Loadspace Rubber Mat (with Rear Air Con) - £137.00 (fully fitted)
- Loadspace Liner Tray - £203.00 (fully fitted)
- Fixed Side Steps - £1,093.00 (fully fitted)
- Roof Rails - £566.00 (fully fitted)
- Activity Key and Installation Kit - £392.00 (fully fitted)
- Cross Bars - £226.00 (fully fitted)
- Wheel Mounted Bike Carrier - £141.00 (fully fitted)
- Luggage Carrier - £474.00 (fully fitted)
- Sports Roof Box - £598.00 (fully fitted)
- Wireless Phone Charging - £222.00 (fully fitted)
- Premium Seat Back Stowage - £208.00 (fully fitted)
- Centre Armrest Cooler/Warmer - £436.00 (fully fitted)
- Click and Go Base - £32.00 (fully fitted)
- Numerous accessories will then connect with this base, tablet holders, hook, table, coat hanger. Range from £46 to £112 each.
About Monty Halls
Monty is an ex-Royal Marines Officer who worked for Nelson Mandela during the peace process in the early nineties. He left the Marines to pursue a career in expeditions, travel journalism and biology, achieving a First Class Honours Degree and becoming qualified as a marine biologist. His degree was funded by running expeditions, the most notable of which was leading a multi-national team to the discovery of a sunken city off the Indian coast in 2002. During this period he also led four expeditions to Southern Africa, three to Malawi to explore the ecosystem of the lake and investigate poaching activity on the Nyika Plateau, and one to South Africa to dive looking for evidence of prehistoric settlements in cave systems off the Cape. For his work he was awarded the Bish Medal for services to exploration by the Scientific Exploration Society.
For further information log onto www.uk.media.landrover.com or contact:
Public Relations Manager, Land Rover UK
M: 07795 666 169
Senior Press Officer, Land Rover UK
M: 07469 032 064
Press Officer, Land Rover UK
M: 07469 025162
- Since 1948 Land Rover has been manufacturing authentic 4x4s that represent true breadth of capability across the model range. Discovery, Discovery Sport, Range Rover, Range Rover Sport and Range Rover Evoque each define the world's 4x4 sectors. Land Rover products are currently sold in approximately 180 global markets.
Follow us on Twitter: @LandRoverUKPR